Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Birthday Wish. My short story for english..

Posted it incase it gets deleted cause frankly i dont trust this computer x]

The Birthday Wish.
My whole life, id never had much luck. My dad was constantly away on business trips, and my mum was constantly busy with work. Most afternoons I would be left to entertain myself. The one day I loved each year was my birthday, that was the day I got to wish for something, anything, and it would only be my wish, no one else’s. Each year, the wish changed. Some years, it would be for toys, others it would be for my dad. But from my 13th birthday, my wish tended to be the same. All I wished for was for my true love. My 14th birthday, my best friend moved. I felt lonely as ever. Adam had been the one guy I could come to for anything, and now he was gone. Don’t get me wrong, I had more than one best friend but it just felt like I was loosing a person in the family. During the next 2 years, I made and lost friends. Then on my 16th birthday, my best-friend Victoria was going to take me out to the city.

The city was extremely special. You see, with both my parents busy, and both hating the city, I tended to just stay in the suburbs. I woke up, I’d had a dream about my true love, I was at the city with Victoria and he walked down the street. I just put it down to that it was my birthday, and I was excited. I slowly climbed out of bed, wanting each second of the day to last a minute. I slowly had a shower and choose what I was going to wear; a light purple -shirt and jeans. I was ready.

I ran downstairs to see my mother and father both home. That didn’t make sense, dad was meant to be leaving earlier and mum was supposed to be at work. I didn’t understand. “Morning mum, morning dad, aren’t you both meant to be at work?” I asked.
They looked at me, both with eyes of sadness.
“Are you okay? You both look miserable”.
“Sit down darling.” My mum replied. I sensed the misery in her voice, the type of misery that sounded like death.
I slowly took a seat. “What happened?”
This time dad replied “Kim, you know how you were meant to go out shopping today with Victoria?”
I simply nodded.
“Well, im sorry to say this but you wont be able to go, Victoria, was involved in a fairly deadly car accident, She’s dead Kim.”

Right then and there I had to be in a dream, I pinched myself, nothing. I couldn’t understand, loosing Victoria was like loosing Adam, just now, I had no one. I ran as fast as I could to my bedroom, slammed the door shut and jumped on my bed, crying my eyes out. As soon as I thought, how can this happen, again? I realised, it was my bad luck, even at 16 it was still with me. It had grown into a statistic about me, Brown hair, and green eyes, born with bad luck.

The next day was the same as before.. Non existent, I hadn’t moved from my bed and didn’t plan too. My mum came knocking on the door and said in a soothing voice “Kim, why don’t you go to school, get your mind off Victoria for a while.” I laid silently for a while, thinking about it and finally gave a low fine to her. I got up and looked in the mirror, I was a mess. I decided to not fuss too much with my hair, leaving it as it was in a messy bun. I put my school uniform on slowly. I went to the kitchen to see my mum had packed my bag for me, which I considered nice but guessed it was packed with enough food to last me a year. I ate my toast fairly quickly, hoping this day would just hurry up, and also, it was cold. I waved goodbye to my parents, patted my loving dog goodbye and headed off to school.

It was on the way there that I realised that I hadn’t wished for anything for my birthday the day before. I started to wonder if wishing the day after mattered, hoping it didn’t, but decided to save the wish for a day when I really needed or wanted it. When I arrived at school, everyone gave me sympathy, which I wish they hadn’t as it just made it worse. My best friend Victoria wasn’t there to get me threw it, neither was Adam, or so I thought. The bell rang for first period. Art I sighed to myself; it was the only class that was just me and Victoria, none of our other friends. I sat at the table me and Victoria always sat at, seeing drawings we’d done, some from as old as 2 years ago, others as new as last Thursday. I started remembering the times these were drawn, worrying over little things like what to wear to the formal at the end of the year when there was a loud knock at the door. I looked up find Adam entering the class room. I pinched myself as I had the day before, to find yet again, it wasn’t a dream. As soon as we made eye contact I could tell he noticed something was wrong. He came and sat next to me, and automatically said “what’s wrong?” I simply wrote on a piece of paper, not now.

Art felt like it dragged along, which for once, was good as it gave me time to get prepared to tell him. As soon as the bell rang he grabbed my arm and took me to the only place Victoria, me and him went. It wasn’t anywhere special really, just behind a large tree and was extremely forest like, it reminded me of a rainforest each time I saw it. He took me to the broken silver seat, sat me down and suddenly asked, “Where’s Victoria?”

I started crying, he put his masculine arm around me, comforting me and simply said, “You will become friends again soon.” It was then that I realised that he hadn’t heard, he wouldn’t have, and he would have been absolutely clueless. I said in a soft voice, trying to calm myself, “We cant, she’s” I paused, I couldn’t bring myself to say the word, but I didn’t need to as he had caught on as he said Kim, “im so sorry, I didn’t know.” But unlike everyone else he didn’t ask how was I coping, saying it was her time to go. Instead, he simply touched my shoulder softly, grabbed my bag and ran further into what I considered the rain forest.

I started to run after him, when he turned around and shouted “Kim did your mother pack your bag or something today? It’s as heavy as a bag of bricks!” I slowed to a walk, laughing with tears in my eyes. This is what I loved about Adam, he didn’t fuss over me, he didn’t even try and he could make me laugh, make everything feel better.
As if a sign from Victoria, the sun shone threw the trees, sending rays of light over the grass and trees. I finally caught up to him and went to hug him, when he suddenly turned and kissed me. I was taken by surprise. Not only was Adam kissing me and I hadn’t expected it, he was the one I’d dreamt of the other night. He was my true love; He was all my wishes come true.

I suddenly looked at my phone, we’d been so far in the rainforest we hadn’t heard the bell ring and it was almost 3’oclock! My mother would be furious if she got a call from the school for my truanting. Maybe she’d figure I was escaping and getting my thoughts together. When I got in the car, she seemed to have noticed something was different, what, she didn’t know but she could just tell that I’d changed and grown emotionally, and it was for the better.

My 17th birthday, I cried and Adam just held me, like he had that day he’d come back and found out Victoria had died. On my 18th birthday I was prepared to have one last party with my parents before they died, however the night before my 18th, they died. It was like my 16th birthday all over, except Adam was there and made everything better. My 19th he proposed to me. He’d gotten permission from my old high school to take me to the rainforest and propose. Now, 3 Years later, I’ve gotten married and will soon be expecting my first Child, a girl. I’ve decided to name her Victoria-Rose, after Victoria and my mother, two very important women that were in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment